Support our campaign for a real democracy
The time is right for ordinary people to seize the initiative and begin to build a more democratic future for themselves, their communities, their towns and cities.
Scotland’s referendum showed that, given half a chance, millions will grab at an opportunity to reshape democracy when it affects their lives. Innovative and creative forms of participation used in the campaign exposed the UK’s hollowed-out democratic process.
Our votes count for less and less. The majority feel powerless and are effectively disenfranchised. Vast numbers all over the UK are alienated from a political system which is:
- committed to austerity for an indefinite period, at the expense of the majority
- in thrall to markets, the major corporations and the banks, who decide the agenda
- undermining human rights, civil liberties and the rule of law.
The Levellers and Diggers of the English Revolution, pioneering trade unionists, the Chartists and the Suffragettes should inspire us to reclaim democracy for the people.
We believe that Agreements of the People in each part of the UK, founded on new political, social, economic, legal and ecological rights, are a positive way forward.
- Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers
- Communities Against the Cuts
- John McDonnell MP
- Bill Bowring, Professor of Law, Birkbeck College, University of London
- A World to Win
- People's Republic of Southwark
- Rotherham Against the Cuts
- National Community Activists Network
- Real Democracy Working Group of Occupy London
- People's Assemblies Network
- National Coalition for Independent Action
- Wigan Borough Green Socialists
- Runnymede Project
- Republican Socialist Alliance
- Grattan Puxon, International Romani Union, Gypsy Council and secretary of Dale Farm Residents Association